Wednesday 13 October 2010

Evaluation

To complete my preliminary task i used two different programs, 'Photoshop' and 'QuarkXPress'. For me i found producing my front cover easier than the contents page as i am more familiar with the program as I have used it multiple tomes before for various different tasks throughout the media course.

When learning how to use 'QuarkXPress' it made the production of my contents page easier to layout and quicker to make. QuarkXPress can only be used to produce a contents page. When designing my contents page on QuarkXPress I used guidelines to make sure that when i inserted text and images that they were in line and so that it looked more like a professional magazine.



My magazine follows and deviates from the codes and conventions of original magazines as it has:

  • mast head
  • main image
  • issue number and date
  • bar code
  • bold font
  • a number of cover lines
My magazine doesn't have the following:
  • tag line
  • buzz words
Although these are compulsory for magazines I didn't think that it was necessary for my school magazine to have them.


This is what my front cover looks like:


For my front cover I didn't follow my sketch as when it came to producing my front cover I had different idea's as to when I made my sketch. Although I didn't follow my sketch I still followed the portfolio booklet with the way it should be set out and the cover lines.


This is what my contents page looks like:





My contents page follows the sketch with i produced for what I would like it to look like. Although I changed the bottom left hand corner so instead of having a section based on competitions I chose to change it to an image showing a 'keeping fit' lesson. The cover lines that were on the front cover of the magazine are all in a separate section to make them stand out and to make the contents page seem more interesting.

I found this task easy to complete and it was an enjoyable exercise to get us ready to complete our coursework piece. I preferred creating the contents page as I enjoyed using a new software and learning how to create a contents page the way that professional editors would. Overall I found the preliminary task and enjoyable piece of work to complete and the preparation for the task was easy to complete too.

No comments:

Post a Comment